Operations Manager-Full time
Seaview Boatyard West in Seattle, WA
1. Concept of Operation: The general concept under which Seaview Boatyard, Inc. operates is to provide the customer with consistently high quality professional work at a cost which provides a reasonable profit for the Corporation. It is our policy to stand behind the work performed in our yards and we expect employee performance at the highest level of professional standards. Our objective is to make a profit, while ensuring service and quality workmanship at the highest level. In any situation where specific guidance is lacking or doubts arise regarding how to proceed, make decisions that support the above concept of operations.
2. General: The position of Operations Manager was created to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of yard production and administrative operations. Some areas requiring continuing attention include job quality control which encompasses final inspection prior to delivery; discussions and inspections of ongoing work with surveyors or owners/agents; continuous oversight to ensure that all employees following Best Management Practices (BMPs) and are operating in compliance with relevant safety and environmental, regulations in the context of their work.
3. Responsibilities: Under the direction and guidance of the President the Operations Manager is responsible for the efficient and effective employment of the yard work force, with particular emphasis on scheduling, time and materials tracking and recording, invoicing and billing. The Operations Manager is expected to maximize billable hours, including his own when appropriate and minimize non-billable employee time. In the course of delegating his duties the Operations Manager is expected to focus on the most effective use of yard space, the efficient use of employee talents and experience, effective and timely job costing, safety, compliance with all applicable fire, water quality, environmental regulations and Best Management Practices (BMPs).
This position will have a Co-Operations Manager to help prepare estimates and write work orders and prepare progress or final customer billings as appropriate and required. Assist the current Operations Manager, as required or requested, in estimating bid preparation in response to surveys and/or requests for work bids, both on and off site. When required and requested by the Yard Manager, serve as work superintendent on one or more jobs of unusual scope or complexity. Be prepared to apply skills and knowledge “hands on” in the actual accomplishment of work tasks when appropriate.
4. Employment Relation: The President exercises primary authority over all employees. Some responsibilities may be delegated to the Operations Manager on a specific and clearly understood basis, include training, evaluation, recommendations for promotion or termination, and the direction and control of assigned leadmen.
5. Customer Relations: The customer is the life blood of our business. It is critical that we foster and maintain a good relationship with our customers at all times. Under the direction of the President, the Operations Manager is expected to exercise consistently strong leadership in this area, including ongoing awareness of employee conduct with a view toward timely intervention and corrective action if necessary. Any incidents with customers should be brought to the Presidents attention immediately.
6) Monitoring: During the exercise of his responsibilities the Operations Manager is expected to constantly monitor all phases of the production process including estimating, scheduling, work order preparation, job layout, processes and procedures, material selection, time and material tracking and recording, job quality, invoicing, and billing with a view toward effective and efficient use of space, available manpower and talents, job costing, the maximization of billable man-hours and safety.
1) Estimating / Estimate Assistance as Necessary
- Maintain Estimate Forms – Update Existing Forms and Create New
- Research Pricing (Parts)
- Set-up Preliminary Draft Estimate for Review
- Prepare and Send Estimate
- Follow-up with Customer
2) Layout/Generate Work Orders and Flow of Jobs
- Initiate Work Orders as Necessary
- Meet with Customers at Time of Haulout and Take Comprehensive Notes on Customer Punch List
- Upsell to Customers as Appropriate – Suggest Additional Projects, Increase Job Scope, etc.
- Assist with Correct Work Order Layout, Work Departments and Standard Hours
- Modify Existing Work Orders and add Opcodes to Work Orders as Necessary
3) Scheduling – Under the Direction of the President
- Check Existing Work Flow in Yard and Schedule New Projects with Existing Work in Progress
- Schedule Crew/Projects in Conjunction with the Co-Operations Manager
4) Communications Facilitator
- Ensure Consistent and Frequent Communication Between Office, Operations, Leads and Store.
- Ensure Co-Operations Manager and Customers are Updated on all Changes/Additions to Work Order, Work Schedule and Job Status
- Review Billing Packages to ensure labor and parts postings are accurate and complete
- For Ongoing Projects – Check Prior Invoicing
- Generate Invoices as Necessary
6) Customer Follow-up Calls/Emails
- Outdoors most of the time
- Occasional extreme outdoor temperatures and weather.
- Occasional exposure to extreme heights.
- Rare exposure to adverse ventilation conditions where use of a respirator will be required.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL FUNCTIONS:
- Flexibility to work in the standing, squatting, or kneeling position, as well as reaching overhead with occasional twisting andbending while performing any of the above tasks.
- Stair and ladder climbing is required.
- Ability to work in small spaces.
- Minimal lifting required above 50 lbs.
- Schedule is Monday-Friday from 7:45am to 5:00pm.
- During Summer from time to time it may be necessary to work additional shifts or on weekends.
- Must work as part of a team with a good attitude
- Must be punctual and have excellent work ethic
If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (206) 783-6550.
Full Benefits, Seaview Boatyard is an Equal Opportunity Employer